The primary purpose of this position is to design, code and test programs for either a web-based, mobile or a client/server environment; also, to develop the technical specification and necessary documentation in compliance with MTA procedures.
- Lead in the development and delivery of well-designed software, from simple to extremely complex applications, following MTA standards and guidelines.
- Take a leadership role in working with MTA business users to develop functional requirements and system specifications.
- Test and debug routines and programs for efficient processing and maximum utilization of computer systems.
- Analyze, develop and maintain high quality technical documentation.
- Investigate and resolve production problems and assist other technical support staff in solving coding and technical issues related to MTA software applications.
- Lead the evaluation of new software development products, applications, practices and techniques.
- Assist less experienced developer/analysts and other staff in resolving coding and technical issues related to MTA software applications.
- Evaluate operating efficiency of software systems developed by other MTA application developers and consultants.
- Lead in the development and maintenance of functional test plans that adequately test the defined requirements and functions.
- Develop test criteria, analyze/debug logic and coding errors, review programs and assist other team members with the testing of all computer routines, programs and integrated solutions.
- Advanced programming skills in a MTA IT-supported language, including secure coding techniques.
- Excellent knowledge of Windows and/or Linux operating systems and internet technologies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to function as part of a team that might include end-users as well as other technical staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated strong troubleshooting skills and ability to handle multiple programming tasks simultaneously.
- Strong ability to conceptualize business requirements of the program being developed, including the ability to identify underlying principles and the appropriate data handling techniques required.
- Strong leadership skills and excellent oral and written communications skills, particularly the ability to describe technical issues in non-technical terms.
- Demonstrated ability to plan activities and instruct and guide less senior software developers / analysts.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to initiate, demonstrate flexibility and good time management skills.
- Availability to handle production problems outside normal workday hours.
- Ability to demonstrate highly developed knowledge of current industry standard IT technologies and market trends.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, present and apply complex technology solutions to solve critical business requirements effectively and efficiently.
- Proven experience working with senior level staff contributing to both short and long term technology related planning strategies.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or a minimum of 12 years’ experience developing and maintaining complex software applications in a medium-large business environment.
- Must possess a minimum of 10 years’ experience applying programming logic to the development of computer programs and software applications
This is a resume based position in the collective bargaining unit represented by the Transportation Communications Union (TCU) and will be governed by the terms of the associated TCU collective bargaining agreement for IT employees. As such, candidates selected for this position will be represented by TCU and be on MTA payroll. In addition, candidates selected may be required to work at any MTA Agency location.
As an employee of MTA Headquarters, you may be required to complete an annual financial disclosure statement with the State of New York, if your position earns more than $99,394 (this figure is subject to change) per year or if the position is designated as a policy maker.
How To Apply
Qualified individuals interested in MTA Headquarters IT Kronos employment opportunities must apply through the MTA's online application and recruitment system. Please click the "Apply Now" button on this page to visit our website; Select “See all open positions” located under the heading “Job postings” and search by Job ID listed below.
Dept./Div: Information Technology/Office of Enterprise Applications
Agency: MTA Headquarters
Location: 2 Broadway – 12th Floor
Hours: 9:00am – 5:30pm
Reports To: Lead Application Timekeeping Pension
MTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.