WHAT WE DO
At Recursion we combine experimental biology, automation, and artificial intelligence to quickly and efficiently identify treatments for human diseases. We are transforming drug discovery into a data science problem by building a platform for rapid biological experimentation, data generation and availability, automated analysis, model training, and prediction.
THE IMPACT YOU'LL MAKE
- Create a world-class data platform. You'll work with Biologists, Automation Scientists, and Data Scientists to create a platform that allows them to generate and access petabytes of data, gives them tools to quickly iterate on novel analysis, and deploy new deep learning models into the production data pipeline.
- Build, scale, and operate a streaming data pipeline. You'll be on a team responsible for moving, processing, and analyzing over 60 terabytes of data each week.
- Provide visibility into operations. You'll create tools, dashboards, and metrics to help lab operations keep track of the quality and timeliness of the data they generate, grant early insight into the quality of proposed experiments, and track the provenance of key drug development decisions.
- Act as a mentor, coach, and sponsor. You will share your technical knowledge and experiences, resulting in an increase in learning, growth, and impact within and beyond the team.
THE TEAM YOU'LL JOIN
The Data Platform team (known internally as the machine infrastructure team) currently comprises four software engineers. Our responsibilities are twofold. First, we operate and maintain the current data pipeline that receives, uploads, indexes, and processes the raw data into various aggregated or featurized forms for use downstream by other Engineers and Data Scientists. Second, we are iteratively turning the pipeline into a platform to enable and empower downstream Engineers and Data Scientists to define their own pipelines and data processing. Our infrastructure provides easy and flexible access to petabytes of data, events for triggering computation or tracking state, and automated visibility into the progress of their pipelines.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Experience programming in projects with significant ambiguity and technical complexity, ideally spanning multiple systems and involving diverse technologies.
- Experience being resourceful, collaborative, and flexible in order to complete large projects that deliver needed value. We don't have much in the way of project managers.
- Excitement to learn parts of our tech stack that you might not already know. Our current tech stack uses Python, Clojure, Kafka, PostgreSQL, Docker, and Kubernetes, and cloud services provided by Google Cloud Platform.
- A drive to deliver well tested and instrumented code that can be continuously deployed in small impactful chunks.
- Experience delivering in areas of performance, scalability, and system architecture.
- Biology background is not necessary.
The Benefits/Perks You'll Enjoy
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option grants
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility*
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute*
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars*
- Fully-paid gym membership to Metro Fitness, located just feet away from our headquarters*
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking*
- Subject to change for remote-based employees during the COVID-19 pandemic
More About Us
Recursion is a digital biology company industrializing drug discovery. Recursion does this by combining automation, artificial intelligence, machine learning, in vivo validation capabilities and a highly cross-functional team to discover novel medicines that expand our collective understanding of biology. Recursion's rich, relatable database of over 4 petabytes of biological images generated in-house on the company's robotics platform enables advanced machine learning approaches to reveal drug candidates, mechanisms of action, novel chemistry, and potential toxicity, with the eventual goal of decoding biology and advancing new therapeutics that radically improve people's lives. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Recursion strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against applicants because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.