The Center for Economic and Social Research (CESR) at the Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences is seeking a Research Programmer II to join its team. This Research Programmer II works in a multi-disciplinary environment in support of policy research on a wide range of issues and provides programming support to research projects.
Job responsibilities include:
- Designs, codes, tests, debugs, installs, documents and maintains complex and large-in-scope programs.
- Participates in research projects. Contributes to research designs, develops prototype implementations, and participates in the preparation of papers describing the research.
- Prepares system and programming documentation for users and other programmers in accordance with internal and external standards.
- Use Stata or SAS to extract, clean, manage, and analyze data as a member of research project teams.
- Work with a team on helping manage data collection, conduct descriptive analysis, and create reports.
- Acquire a strong understanding of research topics and a thorough knowledge of the data and programming efforts involved.
- Ability to produce careful and detail-oriented work.
- Exceptional problem-solving abilities and strong analytic skills.
- Serves as lead programmer on several research projects and oversee junior programmer and/or student.
- Trains users and programmers as required.
- Preferred Education: Majors in computer science, statistics, mathematics or related field.
- Preferred Experience: Familiar with research environment. Knowledge of statistical software Stata or SAS, preferably both. Willing to learn programming languages as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
Required Documents and Additional Information:
- Resume and cover letter required (may be uploaded as one file). Please do not submit your application without these documents.
- Job openings are posted for a minimum of (5) five business days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended, so please apply on the same business day if interested.
- USC has excellent benefits, including health benefits for staff and their family with access to the renowned university medical network; eligibility for retirement plans with employer contributions after six months of employment; tuition benefits for staff and their family; free Professional Development classes; central Los Angeles location with easy access to commuter trains, buses and free tram pick up services; discounts to sporting and other campus events.