Uses in depth technical knowledge of databases, software and hardware solutions, and presented business requirements to engineer best computing environments for highly functional and business aligned applications.
This includes attention to scalability, expandability, and sustainability of systems well into the future, as well as understanding up-front costs and on-going costs for the solutions/environments.
Designs, describes and manages the solution engineering in relation to specific business problems.
Deep understanding and experience with relational databases and associated functionality such as tuning, security, development, backup and recovery, high availability, and disaster recovery.
Deep understanding and experience with non-relational databases such as distributed, column oriented, document oriented, key/value, and graph.
Ability to read and update existing software code.
May modify software based on vendor specs and department standards.
Oversees required patching and may lead technology projects.
Creates appropriate documentation.
May train other less technical staff members.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Identifies best technical solution among possibilities to solve existing business problems
- Describes the structure, characteristics, behavior, and other aspects of software to project stakeholders.
- Defines features, phases, and solution requirements.
- Designs enterprise integration architecture, ensuring alignment of technology to the business strategy.
- Provides specifications according to which the solutions are defined, managed and delivered.
- Provides high-level estimates of complexity, resourcing, dependencies and hours to roadmap projects.
- Develops and publishes application integration frameworks, patterns, and practices to reduce cost and complexity.
- Matches solutions with the overall City environment. This involves operating systems, an information context, and integration requirements.
- SA must understand how all parts of the business model work together including processes, operating systems and application architectures.
- Develops, deploys, supports mission critical Utilities’ applications.
- Serves as the Lead DBA for all enterprise databases. Determines methods used for their successful provisioning and continued operation. Manages all licensing as well as hardware selection and lifecycle. Determines and implements best practices for database standards, architecture, security, backup and recovery, availability, etc. of databases for the city.
- Analyzes the technology environment.
- Analyzes Enterprise specifics of the overall computing environment within IT.
- Analyzes and documents requirements
- Sets the collaboration framework (across departments)
- Creates a solution prototype
- Participates in technology selection.
- Supports project management of deployment.
- Works within the constraints of each project which may include: technology, risks, scope, cost, quality, time, and resources.
- Minimum of eight years of working experience in one or multiple IT disciplines.
- IT infrastructure and cloud development experience
- Engineering and software architecture design
- Business analysis
- Dev/Ops – Understands development processes and moving solutions into day-to-day operations. Uses agile methodologies to accomplish a smooth migration.
- Project and product management
- Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server database administration and technologies
- Non-relational database technologies
- Geographic Information Systems
- System Integration methods
- Utilities Industry
- Management of external vendors
Qualifications and Skills
- Oracle/MSSQL DBA experience: performance tuning, development, licensing, HA and DR
- Strong SQL writing abilities
- Familiarity with alternative relational and non relational database systems.
- Understanding of internal/external networks functionality
- Understanding of SOAP and REST web services
- Familiarity deploying, securing, and administering Apache, Apache Tomcat, IIS or similar web servers.
- Working knowledge of Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Requirements gathering and ability to clearly understand business needs
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to informally lead
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to work on significant and unique issues where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangibles. Must have independent judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining solutions
- Ability to perform systematic application integrations with high integration project success rates.
- Ability to oversee the design and implementation of a stable and adaptable technology infrastructure.
- Expert knowledge of systems, applications, or process designs within information technology.
- Expert communication skills for all level of stakeholders and audience.
- 4-year degree in computer science, information technology, or closely related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Technical certifications desirable.
- Excellent communication skills
- Deep analytical skills
- Project and resource management skills
- Collaborative work style
- Ability to influence and negotiate